Where methodology, consistency, and discipline are the keys to success. Currently following Warren Buffett, Jon Boorman, Jim Cramer and more. We have also developed strategies for following Mad Money calls and Estimize crowd-sourced estimates.

One in one out, Navistar for McDonald's

PostWed Mar 05, 2014 2:32 am

We enter NAV on a sell call from Cramer, while exiting MCD at a small gain of 1.5%
Terikan
Site Admin

Three New Entries

PostTue Mar 04, 2014 6:26 am

Inconceivable! Cramer is calling JOY a sell, a stock he once owned for his trust and used to plug regularly. I can't comment on the business, but I will on his other two sell calls.

The first is KR, a competitor to Wal-Mart and local grocery stores. Horrible prices, tightly packed corridors of frustration, but check out is fast at least. I can only speak from personal experience.

Next is VSI. I don't care for companies that peddle miracle pills, though the problem with this one is likely that it isn't pyramid-schemey enough.

Our three exits are based on poorest one month performance, but the market has been so strong all three average to only a small gain. XOOM was a 1% loss, while CCL and CSCO were exited at about a 4% gain each.
Terikan
Site Admin

Entering short SHLD

PostFri Feb 28, 2014 5:20 am

Cramer called Sear's Holding (SHLD) a sell tonight, and so we will enter it short while covering NEM at a small gain of about 2%.
Terikan
Site Admin

Weekly Review - Feb 26th

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 10:02 pm

It's clear that when shorting, there is a time to take profits. The more a stock falls, the less future gain is possible from further declines. Because of this, some method revision is certainly worth considering in the future, as we've given up a lot of ground with BBBY VNCE and NGVC since the market reversal.

SODA fell the most at over 3%, but TDC, XOOM, and GME all rose by over 5%
Terikan
Site Admin

Entering Short TSLA

PostWed Feb 26, 2014 5:46 am

Cramer has given a negative recommendation about TSLA, and we enter it short.

We exit TCS as it has the poorest monthly performance. We gained 14% on the position.
Terikan
Site Admin

Weekly Review - Feb 19th

PostWed Feb 19, 2014 9:15 pm

This week saw a lot of moves up in our shorts, with only TCS falling by a notable amount at a little under 6%. That's to be expected in any week where the general market rallies.

ETFC is up 9%, NEM 7%, and VRX 5%
Terikan
Site Admin

Weekly Review - February 12th

PostWed Feb 12, 2014 10:09 pm

While Cramer's featured picks beat the market this week, his sell calls underperformed by about a half a percent. In a slower week, that would be a lot, but this week, with this portfolio of names, it's actually as much as we can expect.

SODA cost us the most at about 16%. I wonder what really drives this stock. Is it because it's a toy for kids to make their own fizz? Do people think it will really steal market share from KO or PEP? Really can't say.

Lost over 8% in ETFC and 6% in NEM.

We had a small gain of 3.5% in XOOM.
Terikan
Site Admin

Weekly Review - February 5th

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Well NGVC has decided to take back some of our gains. Was bound to happen when you hold a stock short long enough. It's up about 8% on the week. If we were setting proper stops, it's likely we would exit now, but that's not our criteria.

There were a couple names up about 1% but most of the portfolio made gains.

NEM gave us over 15% this week, TDC over 6%, and ETFC a little over 5%.

In this weakness, this portfolio has of course outperformed every thing else we track by a wide margin.
Terikan
Site Admin

New entry, big exit, and rules revision.

PostWed Feb 05, 2014 5:06 am

We are slightly revising, based on what we've experienced with how short entries are taken, and how we gauge their performance. While a stock is still eligible for buyback at 10 trading days, that alone does not lock it in as our exit.

Tonight our new short is MSFT. I'm bearish on it, but our trend following portfolio is long it. So let the battle commence. Of course, both strategies can end up profiting, depending on the exits.

Our exit is one of, if not our oldest short, ACAT. It was entered October 29th, and at exit is a 34.88% gain.
Terikan
Site Admin

Weekly Review - January 29th

PostWed Jan 29, 2014 10:35 pm

There was a time when I considered abandoning this strategy. We suffered large losses in TWTR and other momentum names, most of which we are still in and now profitable on. This week we gained 5.25% as the market took a downturn.

Let's go over some big winners we are still riding.

ACAT - 34% Gain
NGVC - 26% Gain
BBBY - 25% Gain

It makes the TWTR loss seem a little... meh.

This strategy has strongly outperformed an equal sized SPY short. It's easy to say that now with market being how it is, but even when we absorbed losses, our overall return only turned slightly negative while many long portfolios had well over 5% returns for the same period.

Still, the way we choose our exits does weigh on me as being arbitrary, and with the potential to give back gains. It's earned some more time to see how we are able to unwind our big winners.

This week's movers: NGVC lead with 24%, ACAT with 20%, GME with 13%, and TDC with 12%

XOOM and NEM cost us about 2% each, everything else was a gain.
Terikan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Leader Portfolios and Trading Systems